P.E. Provision Statement
Our PE curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils develop the fundamental skills and competence to excel in a wide range of physical activities by providing a broad and balanced curriculum. All PE lessons are inclusive and we provide an environment in which all pupils, irrespective of ability, have opportunities to experience and succeed in positive, enjoyable and stimulating P.E. lessons. Pupils are encouraged to develop stamina, strength and agility and understand that physical activity is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, including social and emotional well-being.
At Prettygate your child will receive:
- At least 2 hours of P.E. each week.
- Experience in a comprehensive range of sports including: football, tag rugby, basketball, netball, tennis, cricket, rounders, dance, dodgeball, hockey, gymnastics (floor and apparatus) and athletics. Fencing is also offered to Year 3 pupils and there are swimming lessons for all Year 4 pupils in the Summer term.
- Excellent delivery of the curriculum through our specialist teacher Mr Grimsey (Northampton and England youth coach) and school staff, in addition to sports coaching students from Colchester Sixth Form College.
- Opportunities to compete at inter-school levels in a wide range of competitions organised by the Colchester and Blackwater School Sports Partnership (CBSSP).
- Opportunities to develop physical literacy and allow pupils to learn about themselves, the importance of a healthy lifestyle, self-expression and concepts such as fair play and respect. It also contributes to the development of a range of important cognitive skills such as decision making and analysis, and social skills such as teamwork and communication.
- A varied range of extra-curricular sporting opportunities through after-school clubs as well as the opportunity to compete in tournaments (football, tag rugby, cross country) and play league matches in football and netball.
- External coaches also provide further P.E. opportunities, e.g. fencing, tennis, dance, bikeability.